Sunday, July 3, 2011

Father & Son first skydive




What started out as a father's day wish was finally accomplished today. Less than two weeks after we both decided to skydive, we finally got to skydive together at Skydive Deland in Florida.

It was a great day because it was the culmination of what they told us could not be done. You may remember that I was refused Advanced Free Fall (AFF) training because of my age. So, I had to find a drop zone that would train me and then come back and skydive with Sandy Jr.

The other skydiver in this picture is Bob Crossman, the chief instructor at Skydive Deland. He was my first tandem instructor and an avid Red Sox fan. He was absolutely thrilled to assist us on our first father and son skydive and we will continue with him to earn our "A" license.

Sandy Jr is attending Embry-Riddle University and should earn his private pilot certificate this summer. Embry-Riddle has a skydiving club and has an agreement to train skydivers at Skydive Deland. Its actually part of their curriculum and he can earn college credits for earning his AFF. So, after earning my AFF at Skydive Tampa Bay I returned to Deland and was on Sandy Jr's AFF certification dive. After earning his AFF, we decided to go once more as solo skydivers and chased each other back down to the earth.

My son and I have shared many adventures. We fly planes, ride road bikes, Harleys and scuba dive. Words alone cannot express my pride and exhilaration of being able to share so much with him. He has a great future as a pilot and I can only hope that this is just one of many more adventures.




No comments: