Sunday, March 28, 2010

Paris in March


Last week, I had the pleasure of flying our company Falcon Jet to Paris. My employer is considering spending the summer in France and they flew over to preview some apartments. It was fortunate that it coincided with my fourth anniversary and Linda was able to join me.

The flight over the North Atlantic was uneventful. Cool temperatures, good tailwinds and little solar activity allowed for good HF communications, which made the crossing relatively routine. Our arrival and approach into Le Bourget was as planned and we landed in Paris right on time.

Paris in March is absolutely beautiful! March is referred to as one of the shoulder months, no longer winter but with temperatures in the high 60's and clear blue skies. Having previously traveled to Paris, Linda and I set about to enjoy the ambiance of Paris.

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel Trocadero, which is a converted Marriott property, but very much a French style hotel. Relatively small rooms, but well appointed with a restaurant and bar. The hotel is well situated within walking distance to the Eiffel Tower and many local restaurants.

Even though we are no longer first time tourists, we could not help but enjoy the usual sights around the Eiffel Tower. We took a scenic boat tour on the River Seine and enjoyed the sights of the Latin Quarter, the Champs Elysees and the Arc De Triumphe. During our stay, we also had the opportunity to to visit Printemps (shopping district) and to sample French cuisine at several Paris restaurants.

I would have to say that our most memorable event was dinner at the Latin Quarter. As you can see in the adjoining picture, the flight crew was feeling quite lively under the direction of Kelley, our flight attendant. A fun filled evening despite the girls breaking some hearts with the locals. And finally topped off with some of the best Gelato since our honeymoon in Italy.

This post would not be complete if I did not give credit to my beautiful wife, who braved the commercial airlines to be with me and celebrate our four year anniversary. Despite the longest return flight in history via Paris, Pittsbugh, Tampa and a road trip back home, she was still in good spirits. Like I said the day she flew off my Harley and did not complain, "She's a keeper"! ' Oh, and let's not forget my employer who allowed me to fly his corporate jet to Paris to celebrate my fourth anniversary....


No comments: